Saturday, May 31, 2008

Today's Sunset

The sun set about two hours ago. As this was happening I chanced to look out of my window. Now, normally, I'd just take note of the beauty God created in each sunset, then merrily go back to whatever it was I was previously doing. But today, I happened to notice something a little peculiar about a certain voluminous cloud.

(Sorry about the reflection of the window pane in the corner. I forgot to turn my light off.)

It is none other than Mickey Mouse looking down on us from above. It kind of reminds me of Mufasa from the Lion King. Here I'll act it out for you, so watch carefully:
Simba
Father?
Simba, you have forgotten me.
No! how could I?
You have forgotten who you are, and so have forgotten me. Look inside yourself, Simba. You are more than what you have become. You must take your place in the circle of life.
How can I go back? I'm not who I used to be.
Remember who you are. You are my son and the one true king. Remember who you are....
I love that movie. (Disney doesn't make them like they used to.) I especially like the part just before this conversation when Rafiki has Simba look into a reflecting pool to prove that his father is still alive. " That's just my reflection," Simba says. "No, look harder," says Rafiki. "See, he lives in you!" I like to look at this part of the movie from an allegorical perspective.
As a Christian, sometimes I forget myself. I start doing my own thing and completely lose track of the life He's given me. Then I frantically try to find my way back to God again. But, He lives in me. So I don't have to go out there, looking for Him in other things, to find Him. I should be a reflection of Him. Others should see Him through me by the way I act, live my life, treat others, etc.
God has had a similar conversation with me before as well. At that time I was confused as to what I was going to do with the rest of my life. I didn't know where I was going or what exactly I was, to be honest. If I've strayed so far as to not know the significance of my life, I've completely forgotten God! God made me more than what I sell myself short as. To Him I mean more than what I even know. I belong to Him as His child. It is the same for All people. He cares for all His children.
"How precious is Your lovingkindness, O God!
Therefore the children of men put their trust under the shadow of Your wings."
-Psalm 36:7
See? He even says so Himself. This whole psalm is a treasure. One of my favorite psalms. Third Day even wrote a song based on verses 5 and 6. I bet you'll recognize it when you read it!
Well, If any of you didn't like my re-enactment earlier, you can visit this site
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIMbzKbDge4
to see the clip from the movie. The first six seconds are kinda strange, but it gets better after that.
Until next time, peeps, Hakuna Matata!

No comments: