Sunday, September 21, 2008

Of Clouds and Palettes

These are some pictures of sunsets that I've taken over the course of about two-and-a-half weeks. They were all taken from my bedroom window.


(How can people say there is no God?)
Each day the sunset is so different from the one before. The colors, the clouds, and even the sounds and the weather can completely change. There is no limit to God's palette.


I guess you can say this is one of the ways I can relax after getting home from a long day at school. There is just something about looking up at the clouds in the sky, or even up at the stars at night, that is very calming. Looking at the stars has to be my favorite of the two. I can't get decent pictures of those, though.



Sometimes the clouds look so turbulent. And you know that the wind must be pretty fierce up there. It is hard to imagine that, though, when there's only a gentle breeze down here. At a distance you can see how all that tempest can cause something so beautiful. It goes along with that age-old proverb:
No hay mal que
Por bien no venga

In other words: Nothing bad can happen that good won't come of it.
Or how about one of my personal favorites: The Shadow proves the Sunshine. If there's one thing I've learned in all the art classes I've taken I've learned that shadows add definition, depth, and richness to a work of art. Look back at the pictures. Would they even look like clouds if they didn't have some kind of shadow? Sometimes the darker the shadow, the greater the contrasting colors, the richer the picture will be. (Of course the artists have to be all technical a call it "chiaroscuro," but whatever. I still can't pronounce it.) And movement (hint hint, the wind, the wind) adds meaning, emotion, and power. Sometimes, those hard times make you appreciate it even more when the good times come around. And, as life goes on, you can look back and see all those colors swirling together. You can see all those clouds you passed through and you can see the light shining out. Then, one day, God will let you see the final product of your life. And your masterpiece will be complete.

No comments: